The list could surely go on, and there is nothing more wonderful than a list, instrument of wondrous hypotyposis.
- Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose
* * *
1. There is no merit that can be scored.
2. Reason & rules are not the arbiters of the possible.
3. Grace is found in works of creation.
4. Intuition & experience are the only guides.
5. There is no room, no time for comparison.
6. Never associate with any you would not dine with.
7. Seek quiet so you can hear.
8. No man's deadline is the driver of your days.
9. Corrupt, compromising systems are to be subverted by working at your work, not theirs.
10. All of the systems in place, all of the institutions built, all of the laws and rules were once intended to bring peace and order to chaos. Now they are chaos.
11. Harm no one - least of all yourself.
12. Let go of all forms of comparison: beauty, money, position, etc.
13. Live outside the systems, on their edges.
14. Accepting pay for work you would not do otherwise is a bribe to keep you compliant.
15. Render unto Caesar enough that he leaves you alone.
16. Quit listening to watches.
17. Manipulation enslaves.
18. The book of your life is written with each breath. How's the story coming along?
19. Ignore other people's lists.
20. The numinous is stamped in your finger prints.
21. Doubt is society whispering in your ear: you're not really up to snuff, are you? Fuck that.
22. Works of creation are not art. They are life itself.
23. Being the smartest person in the room is useless unless you are kind. And if you are kind, that is all that matters.
24. Old dogs teach best.
25. Live so your work is your meditation.